Just put the finishing touches to my latest creation that I hope you will like as much as I do! I call this one “Wild Summer Pathway”. It is painted with White Night professional artists watercolours on a new paper for me which is Matthew Palmer’s Fontaine 140lb watercolour block. This is nice paper to work on and has a canvas look and feel about it. It allows lifting of colour, masking and handles multiple washes very well too.
Just finished this painting of Charles Bridge on the river Vitava in Prague from a stunning reference photo supplied by my friend David Williams from Sandhurst.
Not sure that I have done his photo justice but I did find it a complicated and detailed painting to do. However once again the finished painting came together very well.
I thought that as my eldest daughter loves Giraffes I would attempt to paint one. If she likes it I will frame it for her!
This was painted on Saunders Hot Press 140lb watercolour paper. I am not too fond of Hot Press paper as the paint tends to move around on top of the surface rather than soak into the paper but I am happy with how it came out okay in the end as is so often the case!
I found this an interesting subject to paint and really enjoyed painting it. I thought it best to keep the background light to keep the focus on the Giraffe itself and I seem to have accomplished that okay.
I am also pleased to add that my daughter loves it so now all I have to do is find the right frame and mount it!
I found a similar image to the one that I have painted and it inspired me to try and create something that had an atmospheric feel with mist rising from the water and a hazy middle ground. I had two attempts at this starting both of them at the same time and using slightly different approaches and techniques to each to see which would come out the best in the end. I also wanted to keep the painting loose and free as much as possible to add to the atmospheric feel too.
Like all watercolour paintings at about the halfway mark both of the them looked pretty awful and I had my doubts if I could get either of them to look how I imagined they should! I was relieved by the time that I got the 3/4 of the way through point that this one really started to come together.
I used the different size for both paintings as I felt it added to the finished result to have them elongated producing a kind of panoramic feel. The chosen finished painting is shown here and I am really pleased with the result and it looks even better mounted and framed in a 12″ x 16″ frame which leaves lots of white mount board around the outside of the painting.
My daughter sent me this small photograph that she had taken of the restoration work her partner and his son had completed on a BSA motorcycle asking if I could create a watercolour painting to capture the finished work.
The image is low quality and quite small but it contained enough detail to allow me to create a reasonably good watercolour reproduction from it. Getting enough of the fine detail in was challenging but on the whole the painting was good fun to produce and I managed to complete it in a day.
This is my completed painting ready for framing and presenting to my step grandson at the earliest opportunity – hope he likes and treasures it!