I added quite a few paintings to my galleries today to try and bring them up to date.
I recently finished a painting of the beach huts at Calshot and Beaulieu, you will find it in the Seascape gallery.
I tried out some different paper for this painting which was Waterford paper. It was very absorbent and also very prone to cockling even after stretching it initially using my own stretching technique that normally works just fine! After completing the painting I now know that this paper needs to be stretched more than normal and probably twice before starting a painting. I think I will give it a wide berth in future and stick to Arches or Bockingford paper. The finished painting turned out well though with the beach huts providing lots of colour and the setting sun gave the piece a nice glow to the light.
I did purchase some Fabriano Artistico paper the other day which does get some good reviews so I think I will give that a try for my next painting and see how that behaves.